Okay, it's a girl cave. Rakes rather than recliners. No big screen television, but a recycled CD player shaped like a VW Beetle provides musical ambience. How about a mini fridge and a ceiling fan? It can get hot out there!
The beauty of a potting shed, particularly in a green world--is that what's out is in. The proper Feng Shui involves a bit of forbidden tchotchke. A table salvaged from the curbside, and heavy iron tools unearthed at an estate sale are prized posesssions, happily displayed.
A potting shed need not be elaborate, in fact, the tree house can be converted after the youngest leaves for college.
Top priorities for potting shed construction?
1. Wall tool storage. Wall mounted wooden dowel pegs extending eight inches and spaced apart in varying distances are highly efficient. Modern metal premade wall hangers are also available.
3. Open shelving: Open shelves allow for easy access to tools, pots, and garden food. Equipment tucked cupboard doors are often forgotten. Shelves can be located anywhere, above doors, windows, below counters.
4. The wish list:
- Easy access to a water source to avoid lugging. Most projects require H2O.
- If water access is impractical, install gutters and attach to a rain barrel.
- Windowboxes -- of course!
- A garden cart and room to store it. Mine fit under a work table.
- Exterior cupboards for off season container storage. Install latches to keep out critters.
- Compost bin nearby.
- Skylights for natural illumination.
Sumptuos or simple, every gardener needs some space--every girl needs a cave.
More Articles of Interest: