When my oldest daughter was in elementary school, fine dining always came with some apprehension. We learned to seat her back facing towards rest of the world while we pretended not to notice the salad deliberately stuck to her nose. It was (and is) always interesting...
Once a plate came with an allium tucked next to the chicken nuggets. The stunned waiter's eyes nearly popped from his head as our girl scooped the bloom off the plate and swallowed it with a satisfied "pop." She also drank perfume once. After calling the above number we determined she'd be okay. Still, her breath smelled quite nice.
Most plants toxic to humans and livestock are also poisonous for the family pet. The Michigan State University Extension Service publishes an extensive list of dangerous plants and parts.
The list is long and some "potentially lethal" plants are unexpected and fairly common:
- Apple seeds--In large quantities can cause severe symptoms such as abdominal pain, vomiting, and worse.
- Bleeding Heart--potentially lethal in large quantities.
- Boxwood--Tummy troubles
- Daffodil/Crocus/Tulips--Entire plant, mainly the bulbs, potentially lethal.
- Hydrangea--Flowers and leaves, abdominal pain, vomiting, nausea
- Snow On the Mountain -- Itchy dermatitis caused by contact with the milky sap.
|Not for salad use!|
Don't assume that pretty holiday plants are exempt from the danger list:
- Christmas Rose/Hellebores -- Stomache upset and nervous/heart conditions.
- Holly -- The leaves and berries can cause nausea, vomiting and diarrhea.
- Poinsettia --Sap is a skin irritant, only one reported death in 1919.
Best practice? Get salad fixings from the market and table arrangements from the yard.
As for those squirrels who dig up my carefully placed daffodil bulbs--pass the Pepto Bismol buddies!
More Articles of Interest:
To Hellebores and Back
Hey! Look What Survived the Winter in My Garden?